Mistakes Regarding Raising their Hands in Du’aa – Sunday 6th January, 2013
Many people transgress in the du’aa in different ways. In our previous post we mentioned that Ibnul Qayyim (Rahimahullaah) mentioned 12 conditions for the du’aa to be accepted.
Mistakes People do When they Raise their Hands:
Raising hands is one of the means of acceptance of the Dua. Some people invented some forms of raising hands and make movements with their hands which are not affirmed by the Prophet (Salla-Allaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) or the Sahabah.
Narrated Malik ibn Yasar as-Sakuni, al-Awfi:
The Prophet (Salla-Allaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said, ”When you ask Allah ask him with the palm of your hands not the backs of your hands” [Sunan Abi Dawud ,Hasan Sahih by Albani]
Should the hands be held together or separate? Shaikh bin ‘Uthaymeen (Rahimahullaah) in Ash-Sharh al-Mumti’ that they should be held together. As for holding them apart, there is no basis for that in the Sunnah or the words of scholars.
You have to hold your hands together.
Ibn ‘Abbas (Radhia-Allaahu ‘anhu) said, “When asking for something you should raise your hands opposite to your shoulders or next to them. When asking for forgiveness you should point with one finger and that is for the Imam in the masjid during Friday Sermon. When he makes supplication he should spread his hands and this is Salatul Istisqa and for the imam”
Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullaah) commented on this saying the third way is imploring.
The Wrong Forms of Raising the Hands:
- To raise the hands joined or parted to the level of the navel. Holding their hands at their navel or under their navel.
- To raise the hands separated and the tips of the fingers towards the Qibla and the two thumbs to the sky.
- Wipe their hands together as if they want to take away the dust. This is not correct.
- To kiss their hand after the du’aa.
- To wipe the face with both hands after the du’aa.
- To kiss the thumbs after and putting them on the eyes when mentioning the name of the Prophet (Salla-Allaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam). This is based on a weak hadith that whoever does that will never become blind.
- To gather the fingers of the right hand and put them on the right eye and the fingers on the left hand and put it on the left eye and make du’aa like this.
- Put their right hand on their head as soon as they finish the Salat and make du’aa.
- Point with the two fingers during Tashahud.
- Particularizing certain times for du’aa without referring to authentic sources such as raising hands after Iqamah and before Takbir. This is not a position of granted invocation.
- Raise the hands with du’aa after the obligatory prayer – Shaikh Bin baaz “It is not quoted by the Prophet (Salla-Allaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) nor his Sahabah, what people do nowadays is Bid’ah which is baseless”.
- Raising hands after Sujood Tilawah or sighting the crescent. There is only one du’aa quoted by the Prophet (Salla-Allaahu alaihi wa sallam) when you see the crescent, without raising your hand. Some people choose this time to make general du’aa for themselves and this is not correct. Sometimes during Sujood Tilawah, they put the Qur’aan aside to make Sujood and make du’aa. This is not correct, either.
Source: Shaikh Abdur-Razzaq Al-Badr (hafidhahullaah) collected in his book Fiqh Ad’iyah