The Names of Allah: Ar-Rahmaan, Ar-Raheem – Part 2 – Sunday 6th Muharram,1435 (10th November, 2013)
Allah said in Surah Baqarah verse 163 and 164:
وَإِلَٰهُكُمْ إِلَٰهٌ وَاحِدٌ ۖ لَّا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الرَّحْمَٰنُ الرَّحِيمُ
And your Ilah (God) is One Ilah (God – Allah), La ilaha illa Huwa (there is none who has the right to be worshipped but He), the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
إِنَّ فِي خَلْقِ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافِ اللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ وَالْفُلْكِ الَّتِي تَجْرِي فِي الْبَحْرِ بِمَا يَنفَعُ النَّاسَ وَمَا أَنزَلَ اللَّهُ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ مِن مَّاءٍ فَأَحْيَا بِهِ الْأَرْضَ بَعْدَ مَوْتِهَا وَبَثَّ فِيهَا مِن كُلِّ دَابَّةٍ وَتَصْرِيفِ الرِّيَاحِ وَالسَّحَابِ الْمُسَخَّرِ بَيْنَ السَّمَاءِ وَالْأَرْضِ لَآيَاتٍ لِّقَوْمٍ يَعْقِلُونَ
Verily! In the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, and the ships which sail through the sea with that which is of use to mankind, and the water (rain) which Allah sends down from the sky and makes the earth alive therewith after its death, and the moving (living) creatures of all kinds that He has scattered therein, and in the veering of winds and clouds which are held between the sky and the earth, are indeed Ayat (proofs, evidences, signs, etc.) for people of understanding.
Who is Ar Rahmaan, Ar Raheem?
They are two names of Allah, Azza wa Jal, which imply the attribute Ar Rahmah.
What is the difference between Ar Rahmaan and Raheem? His mercy encompasses everything and everyone.
Ar-Raheem: Rahmatul Wasilah. Whoever Allah wills to be merciful, in particular, Allah will shower Him with His mercy. Allah knows when and where and whom deserves Allah’s mercy.
What is the impact of Allah’s Mercy?
- The whole creation is brought into existence because of His Mercy.
- All the blessings that Allah bestows upon His creation is impact of His Mercy.
- There are two types: General and specific.
General- is for everyone, even the disbelievers (jobs, children, health etc.).
Specific- this is only to His chosen slaves. When you feel your heart has been broadened while reading the qur’aan, it’s a special mercy from Allah. Wisdom is by Allah’s mercy. It’s only to certain people. Not everyone has that.
- Driving away the evil from you and your family. If it hadn’t been for Allah’s mercy, we wouldn’t have been healthy.
- The greatest blessing of Allah is that to make them know Allah, Azza wa Jal, by His names and attributes.
If we don’t know who Allah is, if we don’t know we have a Lord who is the Most Merciful, who is the Most Wise, who nurtures us. What would our life be like? SubhaanAllah.
The worse dhulm is to put a thing in its wrong place. If we are all granted with blessings day and night, is it fair that we thank someone else?
Tawheed will not be perfect if we don’t realise that Allah is the one who is granting us all these blessings. He is the One our hearts are attached to.
If someone asks who Ar-Rahmaan, Ar-Raheem is, look for the answer in Surat Al-Baqarah verse 163 and 164.
1) No one deserves to be worshiped except Allah, Azza wa Jal.
2) We should attach our hearts to no one except Allah Azza wa Jal.
3) If you are seeking mercy, you should seek it from Allah alone. If your heart turns to the people, Allah will teach you a lesson.