The Name of Allaah: Al-‘Azeez (PART I) – 1st November 2015
Lingusitic meaning of the name Al-Azeez
The name العزيز Al-‘Azeez is derived from the word عز ‘Iz which basically means:
Strength, Power (Ability), (Pure) Dominance (Upper hand) (Supremacy)
العزة Al-‘Izah: Glory, Eminence, Exaltedness, Might, الامتناع (Prevention of any one overpowering Him, harming him etc.) To Allah belongs all might, power, supremacy, over everything.
رجل عزيز : A man described as ‘azeez is said to be Immune , unattackable, fortified. No one can overpower him nor can he be defeated.
عززني فلان: So-and-so overpowered me
عززنا بثالث: We reinforced them with a third (or strengthened)
عزيز: Also means very rare, unique, singular.
[Source: Al-Lisan by Ibn Mundher]
The Name of Allah Al-‘Azeez is mentioned in the Qur’an 92 times. It is one of the great and mighty names of Allah which is obligatory for every slave to know. Allah commands us to know about Him in many verses in the Qur’an.
(Surat Al-Baqarah Verse 267, Surat Al-Anfal Verse 25)
The repetition of this name in the Qur’an indicates our dire need to live in accordance to it.
What does it mean to live acording to the Names of Allah?
Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Allah has ninety nine names and whoever preserves them will enter Paradise.” [Sahih Muslim]
Surat Adh-Dhariyat Verse 56
وما خلقت الجن والانس الا ليعبدون
And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me.
We exist in this life to worship Allah. We worship Allah by knowing and living according to His names and attributes. We go through many events in life, we need to believe that Allah is Al-‘Azeez and relate many of these events to the impact of His ‘Iza.
The impact of this name is shown to us day and night repeatedly.
The مشيئة الله (Will of Allah) is joined with His عزة‘Iza.
الر كتاب انزلناه اليك لتخرج الناس من الظلمات الى النور باذن ربهم الى صراط العزيز الحميد
Alif, Lam, Ra. [This is] a Book which We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], that you might bring mankind out of darknesses into the light by permission of their Lord – to the path of the Exalted in Might, the Praiseworthy –
وما ارسلنا من رسول الا بلسان قومه ليبين لهم فيضل الله من يشاء ويهدي من يشاء وهو العزيز الحكيم
And We did not send any messenger except [speaking] in the language of his people to state clearly for them, and Allah sends astray [thereby] whom He wills and guides whom He wills. And He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
In your life, if Allah wills you to go somewhere you will go there, if He wills you to do something you will do it, if He wills you to stay you will stay, etc.
The will of Allah is also joined with His wisdom.
In Surat Al-Insan Verse 30
وما تشاءون الا ان يشاء الله ان الله كان عليما حكيما
And you do not will except that Allah wills. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Wise.
If you ponder over the 92 verses in which the name of Allah Al-‘Azeez is mentioned, you will find that the context is about a situation that Allah has willed or chosen for you to be in and that which will occur because He is Al-‘Azeez.
This name has also been mentioned in the context of Tawheed:
In Surah Ali ‘Imran
هو الذي يصوركم في الارحام كيف يشاء لا اله الا هو العزيز الحكيم
It is He who forms you in the wombs however He wills. There is no deity except Him, the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
شهد الله انه لا اله الا هو والملائكة واولو العلم قائما بالقسط لا اله الا هو العزيز الحكيم
Allah witnesses that there is no deity except Him, and [so do] the angels and those of knowledge – [that He is] maintaining [creation] in justice. There is no deity except Him, the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
ان هذا لهو القصص الحق وما من اله الا الله وان الله لهو العزيز الحكيم
Indeed, this is the true narration. And there is no deity except Allah . And indeed, Allah is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
This means that knowing this name corrects one’s Tawheed and attachment of the heart to Allah alone and no one else.
The Meaning of this Name as explained by Scholars:
- Ibn Jarir said, “Al-‘Azeez is the One mighty in His retribution of His enemies. No one is able to repel it (the revenge of Allah) from himself, nor resist Him” (Jaamiul-Bayan)
- Ibn Katheer said, “Al-‘Azeez is the One who has subdued every thing and overpowers everything. His grandeur is invincible (and His sovereignty is infinite) and that is due to His greatness, irresistible power and might, and pride”
He also said, “He is All-Mighty, dominant over all things. His majesty is not violated nor attained”
- Al-Qurtubi said, “Al-‘Azeez is the invincible who is never overcome or defeated”
- Ibn Keezan said, “It means nothing escapes Him or makes Him fail”
- Al-Kasaa’i said, “Al-‘Azeez is the dominant”
It is also said, “Al-‘Azeez is the One, nothing like unto Him”
- Al-Hulaimee said, “Al-‘Azeez means the One who is unreachable, no one can touch Him with harm”
- As-Sa’di said, “Al-‘Azeez is the One to whom belongs all might and honour in its entirety. The might and honour of strength, the might and honour of supremacy, the might and honour of prevention. He has prevented any of His creation from encompassing and grasping Him (or to touch Him with harm). He has subdued and controlled all the creation (Omnipotent over everything that is in existence). The whole of creation is subjected and submitted to His grandeur.”
Accordingly, there are 4 meanings for the name Al-‘Azeez:
- The One whom none can overcome, the Irresistible, who subdues everything by His might.
- None can encompass Him or grasp Him.
- The Mighty, the Strong, the Powerful
- The Unique, Glorified be He, nothing is comparable to Him, nothing is like Him.