20th March: Impacts of the name of Allah- Al ‘Azeez (Unsummarised)
1) The person who believes in the name of Allah العزيز is courageous. Whenever he wants to take an action, he’s strong – because He has a Lord who is العزيز.
That’s why, when Allah spoke to Musa before sending him to Pharoah, He said in Surat An-Naml Verse 9
O Moses, indeed it is I – Allah , the Exalted in Might, the Wise.”
2) Allah connected His عزة to His wisdom in the Qur’an. So the person who believes in these names of Allah has a tranquil heart. He doesn’t think bad of Allah. If he wanted something to happen, and Allah willed something else, He submits to Allah – because he knows that what Allah wills is good for him, and that whatever Allah wills is according to His perfect wisdom.
3) The person who believes in Allah’s name العزيز will not worry about His رزق. He knows that Allah is القوي العزيز. If Allah wills something for Him, no one can stop it from reaching Him.
4) Allah connected guidance with His عزة. How many times have we tried to guide people and we were unable to. Allah wants to teach us that He is العزيز. Allah knows if that person deserves to be guided or not. We don’t know if humans are truthful, we just hear them saying, “I want to become Muslim” but Allah knows if they’re truthful.
5) If something which he dislikes happens, the believer who believes in Allah’s name العزيز, will not kill himself out of sorrow. Nor will he rejoice with ungratefulness if something he loves happens. He will accept the decree of Allah with a good heart. He feels at rest to whatever Allah writes of Qadar for him.
6) The name of Allah العزيز is connected to His mercy in the Qur’an. This is to tell you – If Allah wills something to happen, then it’s with His mercy. When Allah decrees something you dislike, tell yourself that there is mercy in it.
E.g. Allah willed for me to be sick. I dislike to be sick, but I know there is a mercy in that decreed matter for me.
Even if Allah prevents something you think is good for you, know there is a mercy for you in it.
E.g. Allah prevented you from money. There is mercy in there for you. Maybe Allah wants to protect you from greed, pride, arrogance, etc. Regardless, I’m sure there’s a mercy in it.
7) Allah commanded us in the Qur’an – that when we put our trust in Allah, to put it in Allah Al ‘Azeez Ar Raheem.
In Surat Ash-Shu’arah Vers 217
And rely upon the Exalted in Might, the Merciful,
Whether you want to get benefit for yourself or you want to a repel a harm you need to rely on Allah. He is العزيز, He’ll give you the strength to repel the harm and to bring good.
E.g. You want to accomplish your duties in life – towards your mother, husband, teachers, etc. These are heavy duties. So rely on Allah – He’ll give you the strength to perform them in the best way.
8) The person who believes in Allah’s name العزيز fears His punishment. Allah, out of His عزة, destroyed the ancient people due to their transgression. Allah, العزيز, takes the sinners with severe punishment. So he doesn’t persist in committing sins.
9) The person who believes in Allah’s name العزيز can easily explain what’s going on in the world.
Sometimes Allah allows the disbelievers to overpower the believers. We studied سورة البروج and saw how the disbelievers burnt the believers in the story of the people of the ditch. Why did they do that? Only because they believed in Allah العزيز الحميد.
Don’t think that Allah is unable to give the power to the believers against the disbelievers. Rather, what’s happening is a test for us and them. What will you think of Allah? – Will you think that Allah is unable to give victory to the believers?
Bear in mind that the disbelievers overpowering the believers is temporary. They will never do so permanently. If you look into the history – you’ll see that their power is temporary, not true power, and will fade away.
10) Allah mentioned in the two verses in the Qur’an that victory is only from Him:
In Surat Ali ‘Imran Verse 126
And Allah made it not except as [a sign of] good tidings for you and to reassure your hearts thereby. And victory is not except from Allah , the Exalted in Might, the Wise –
In Surat Al-Anfal Verse 10
And Allah made it not but good tidings and so that your hearts would be assured thereby. And victory is not but from Allah . Indeed, Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.
Ali ‘Imran talks about the battle of Uhud, whereas Surat Al Anfal talks about the battle of Badr.
All the Muslims nowadays are seeking victory. If you want victory, then seek it from Allah, العزيز. Don’t seek it from other than Allah.
And this is what is missing from the understanding of most Muslims nowadays.
Allah, العزيز, is able to give victory to those who have the means for it and to those who are weak and don’t have the means,
Allah gave victory to the Prophet ﷺ in the Battle of Badr and they were few in number. And in the battle of Hunayn, the Muslims were huge in number but failed. This is to teach us – victory is not in forces and big numbers. Seek the victory from Allah.
In Surat Muhammad Verse 7, Allah mentions what we should do to attain victory:
O you who have believed, if you support Allah , He will support you and plant firmly your feet.
So if I’m seeking victory, what should I do? I need to support and help the religion of Allah.
How can I support the religion of Allah?
1) By establishing it in the land – Act upon the laws of Islam. Pray, fast, call the Athan, wear the proper Hijab. Manifest the rights of Islam.
2) By calling people to Islam
3) By fighting the enemies of Islam – and this doesn’t mean going into battle. Nowadays there’s no Jihad. The only Jihad that is legal is calling people to Islam with the tongue and pen
4) Doing all this seeking the countenance of Allah. Check your intention – it should purely be for Allah sake. You don’t want victory for yourself, but for the religion of Allah.
Nowadays, many people seek العزة – honour, glory, status – from the disbelievers. They think that one can be honoured and have a name and position among the people if he has a certain passport or a certificate from a certain country. And this takes many forms. There are people who think money will give him honour amongst the people, etc. People seek عزة from sources other than Allah.
This is affecting our loyalty to Islam and the Muslims. We should be seeking the عزة from Allah, not other than Him.
This issue is a matter of Aqeedah which we’ll be accounted for on the Day of Judgement.
What did Allah say in the Qur’an about this matter? [NEXT POST]