The Name of Allaah, Ar-Razzaq (Part 2)
- If you know that Allaah is the All-Provider, you will live mentally stable in this life.
All of creation, without exclusion, live in this life enjoying the provision of Allaah. Ever since the human was in the womb of his mother, Allaah has been providing for him. The compassion of the parents towards the unborn baby is a provision from Allaah. There are some parents who have no compassion, so when you see that, you know this is a provision from Allaah. Even if someone visits you, that visit is a provision from Allaah. Both spiritual and materialistic matters are provisions from Allaah.
Many parents grow old and complain that their children do not visit them. One should realize that the visit of their children; their call, their care, is a provision from Allaah. If you understand Who Allaah is, you would not become upset with people.
Even the feelings of love, care and acceptance, are provisions from Allaah. There are people who are loved and accepted wherever they go, and there are others who are not liked wherever they go. If you understand that this love and acceptance are provisions from Allaah, you would be calm and not complain or be upset.
- Since everything is a provision from Allaah, do not do what pleases the people and displeases Allaah.
E.g. She’s a married woman and her husband does not love her. She may go and do many things contrary to what Allaah loves in order to please her husband and make him love her. Do not do what displeases Allaah to get provision from the people. The provision is in Allaah’s Hand, not in the hands of the people. You have to implore Allaah Ar-Razzaq to provide for you. None will accept you from among the people if Allaah diverts their hearts from you.
Most of our problems are because we do not know Who Allaah Ar-Razzaq is. Sit with yourself and look at your problem, and you will find that it is a problem in understanding the name of Allaah Ar-Razzaq. If you really know this, you will live at peace and in rest. You will be able to comprehend things correctly.
Your concern should be to seek the love of Allaah, not the love of the people. The Prophet ﷺ said,
إذا أحب الله العبد نادى جبريل: إن الله تعالى يحب فلانًا، فأحببه، فيحبه جبريل، فينادي في أهل السماء: إن الله يحب فلانًا، فأحبوه، فيحبه أهل السماء، ثم يوضع له القبول في الأرض
“When Allaah loves a slave, he calls Jibreel and says: ‘I love so-and-so, so love him’. Then Jibreel loves him. After that, he (Jibreel) announces to the inhabitants of the heavens that Allaah loves so-and-so, so love him; and the inhabitants of the heavens (the angels) also love him and then people on earth love him.“ [Agreed upon]
This means that all the good people on earth will accept that person. Allaah loves the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ the most and we believe that Allaah placed acceptance for him on earth. But this acceptance is by the believers, because the disbelievers mock him.
- The main concerns of the people nowadays is their job, salaries, their money, how much they earn, what will happen to them tomorrow. They are living in fear and worry for their provision which Allaah has already written before the creation of the heavens and earth by fifty thousand years. If Allaah has written a morsel of food for you it will reach you no matter how far away it is. Allaah will create the means for it to reach you wherever you are. Every time Zakariya عليه السلام entered upon Maryam’s prayer place, he found that she was provided with sustenance. He knew that she did not have a job and earn a livelihood, so he asked as mentioned in Surat Aal-‘Imraan [3:37]:
“So, her Lord (Allaah) accepted her with goodly acceptance. He made her grow in a good manner and put her under the care of Zakariya (Zachariah). Every time he entered Al-Mihrab to (visit) her, he found her supplied with sustenance. He said: ‘O Maryam (Mary)! From where have you gotten this?’ She said, ‘This is from Allaah.’ Verily, Allaah provides sustenance to whom He wills, without limit.“
She was in her praying place and Allaah sent sustenance for her. When Zakariya saw with his own eyes how Allaah provided for Maryam without any means, he moved from علم اليقين (Knowledge of Certainty) to عين اليقين (Seeing with Certainty). Therefore, at that spot, he immediately asked for offspring. Although the means of having offspring was available for Zakariya, it was very weak. When he saw that Allaah gave provision without means to Maryam, he asked for offspring from Allaah, and Allaah gave him. The angels immediately called upon him and gave him the glad tidings of a son named Yahya عليه السلام.
- This does not mean that you do not take the means. This life is based on means. However, we should not rely on them. Again, when Maryam was in labor with Jesus (‘Eesa), Allaah provided her with a date tree. He ordered her to shake the trunk of the tree. Although she was weak, and the trunk of the date tree is stiff, Allaah is teaching us that even if the means are weak, Allaah is the Provider. You have to have trust in Allaah. Do your best and Allaah will provide for you even if your work and effort is weak. If you believe that Allaah is Ar-Razzaq, He may bring your healing, guidance, and reformation for yourself or for others through means beyond your imagination.
Take the means but do not think that the means is bringing you the provision. Allaah gave you the means and He is the One Who gives you the result of the means.
- The last thing that we should be concerned about in this life is our provision. You should not be worried about it at all because it is something Allaah has decreed for you before the creation of the heavens and the earth. Allaah says in Surat Adh-Dhaariyaat [51:22-23]:
“And in the heaven is your provision, and that which you are promised.”
“Then, by the Lord of the heaven and the earth, it is the truth (i.e. what has been promised to you), just as it is the truth that you can speak.”
Just as you have no doubt in the fact that you can speak, you should have no doubt that your provision is with Allaah and He will give it to you. Some people think that if you have a high degree you will get a good job and if you don’t you will have a menial job. There are some highly qualified people who earn very little.
- If Allaah has written any provision for you, He will bring it for you and He will bring the means for it. In Surat Al-Waqiah [56:63-65]:
“Tell Me! The seed that you sow in the ground.”
“Is it you that make it grow, or are We the Grower?”
“Were it Our Will, We could crumble it to dry pieces, and you would be regretful (or left in wonderment).”
The seed is from Allaah, the soil is from Allaah, the water is from Allaah, the sun is from Allaah, the air is from Allaah, the strength to plough is from Allaah. Everything is from Allaah. After you put the seed in the ground, who will make it grow? Allaah is the Splitter of the Seed. He is the One who makes it split and sprout and grow into a plant.
Allaah is affirming a very important fact, that He is the One controlling and providing us with everything. So why are you worried for tomorrow? He is the One Who gives us the means and the result of using the means.
Sometimes you wish for something and you see that what you wished for comes through someone. This is to tell us – who knew what was in your heart? What do you think of Allaah – Do you think that Allaah can fulfill your wishes or do you doubt? Allaah is watching your heart and seeing what you think of Him. If you think good of Allaah, He will be for you as you think of Him.
If your Lord is Ar-Razzaq, what is your duty?
The first one who you should think of when you have a need is Allaah.
E.g. You need a doctor. Before asking anybody, go to Allaah. He is the One Who brings a good doctor for you and guides the doctor to diagnose your sickness and write the correct prescription, and He is the One Who gives you the result of that medicine. All you have to do is ask Him.
Allaah tests us with needs. He initiates needs within us in order for us to go to Him and invoke Him; not to ask people or rely on ourselves. Even cure is a provision from Allaah.
How do we know that provision is a test for us? Allaah said in Surat Al-Jinn [72:16-17]:
“If they (non-Muslims) had believed in Allaah and went on the Right Way (i.e. Islam) We should surely have bestowed on them water (rain) in abundance.”
“That We might try them thereby. And whosoever turns away from the Reminder of his Lord (i.e. this Quran, and practice not its laws and orders), He will cause him to enter in a severe torment (i.e. Hell).”
Sometimes, we invoke Allaah for something and Allaah does not give it to us. Later, we discover that Allaah not giving us that thing was not good for us and we thank Allaah. Be satisfied with what Allaah has written for you and He will give you more and more. Wake up at the night when everyone is asleep and ask Him for all your needs and have good thoughts and expectations about Him. No one can prevent the provision from you or take the morsel that’s written for you from your mouth. Knowing the Name of Allaah Ar-Razzaq will turn your life into a peaceful contented life.