The Meaning of the Name العليم
Sheikh Abdur-Razzaq Al-Badr حفظه الله said:
- Allah mentioned the Vastness of His Knowledge ذكر سبحانه سعة علمه:
For example, in Surah Ta-Ha [20:98]:
“Your Ilah (God) is only Allah, the One (La ilaha illa Huwa) (none has the right to be worshipped but He). He has full knowledge of all things.”
- Allah’s Knowledge Encompasses Everything; Nothing escapes His Knowledge ذكر سبحانه إحاطة علمه بكل شيء
For example, in Surah Aal-Imran [3:120]:
“If a good befalls you, it grieves them, but if some evil overtakes you, they rejoice at it. But if you remain patient and become Al-Muttaqun, not the least harm will their cunning do to you. Surely, Allah surrounds all that they do.”
- Allah’s Knowledge encompasses the Secret and Open, the Unseen and Witnessed Matters. ذكر تبارك و تعالى إحاطة علمه بالسرائر و المعلنات و الغيب و الشهادة
- Allah Knows all that is in the Heavens and Earth ذكر سبحانه علمه بما في السماوات و الأرض
- Allah Knows the The Keys of the Unseen, and none knows it except Him ذكر سبحانه اختصاصه بمفاتح الغيب، فلا يعلمها إلا هو
One of the Noble Names of Allah is Al-‘Aleem; which Allah mentioned in over 150 verses in the Qur’an. This Name implies the Attribute of العلم (Knowledge) which is a صفة ذاتية (Intrinsic Attribute); Allah has always been attributed with Knowledge, and will always be attributed with it. It is an eternal attribute which never stops at any moment or any time.
Allah created the creation, and He Knows about His creation.
Surah Al-Baqarah Verse 29
هُوَ الَّذِي خَلَقَ لَكُم مَّا فِي الْأَرْضِ جَمِيعًا ثُمَّ اسْتَوَىٰ إِلَى السَّمَاءِ فَسَوَّاهُنَّ سَبْعَ سَمَاوَاتٍ ۚ وَهُوَ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ
He it is Who created for you all that is on earth. Then He Istawa (rose over) towards the heaven and made them seven heavens and He is the All-Knower of everything.
As As-Sa’di mentioned: In many verses in the Qur’an, Allah connected His Creation with His Knowledge, to emphasize that He Created everything and knows about everything He Created. It is impossible that Allah created something and does not know about it. He Knows what benefits His Creation and He accordingly set laws for us.
How can we judge Allah, His Actions and Laws with our deficient minds? This is due to lack of belief in Allah’s Name العليم, and this is what is happening nowadays.
Our belief should affect our behavior. Read the rest of this entry